Sunday, October 18, 2020

Game Idea Research

First of all, during my research I have had the epiphany that we aren't so much making a fully fledged indie game as we are creating demos or Game Jam-esque builds. With this in mind I have decided to choose the Car game idea I presented in the last project blog post.

If I were to stick with the original concept from the original post I'd have to learn more about Unity especially about things like collisions, acceleration, momentum, etc. While these do seem like exciting challenges I also have to keep in mind my own ability in regards to the time constraint of the module. The original idea also insinuates the involvement of AI players/bots which could prove to be far more difficult than I originally considered. If by some way I am able to learn all of these things and am able to incorporate them all into my game it would have to be on a very basic level thus I would have to focus also on the level design of the game to bolster the basic mechanics. This would be to create a more fun and dynamic experience for players despite the rudimentary mechanics of the game itself. This currently seems like a scope that's a little out of my wheelhouse.

My evolution of this idea to make it more viable as a project for this module was to remove the active components of the world and lean more toward a sort of sandbox style game, thus kind of melding Idea 2 and Idea 4 from my last blog post into one game. Initially I had the idea to mould it into something more reminiscent of a game like Turbo Dismount or for a more nostalgic memory from my own heart Burnout 3: Takedown Crash Mode. I had the idea of developing it into a more Angry Birds style game with simple mechanics and a simple goal but with a lot of replay value. This idea also retains a lot of the game mechanics from the original idea just on a simpler, singleplayer scale. This sort of idea would also possibly let me incorporate things like power ups/effect pads which I researched here. The simpler mechanics of this game might also let me experiment with more level design or even other cosmetic elements such as Mesh Deformation.

My alternate idea for a demo sized game would be to fully amalgamate Idea 2 and Idea 4 and create a sandbox driving game similar to BeamNG.Drive or like the Sandbox mode in Besieged. This would allow me to explore a very wide range of game mechanics, even if they aren't exactly cohesive due to the open world nature of the game. I would also have the choice to experiment with the level design with different areas of the world exploring different game mechanics. This would motivate players to explore the game and would encourage replayability by having a range of options to interact with.

In terms of game mechanics I would have free reign to implement a plethora of things into the game such as having different areas explore different mechanics like fun power ups or even something like intricate manoeuvring. I would want to have a wide enough variety of options for different types of players to find something that they might like.

I could also implement a simple goal system by having a Main Challenge for each are which would reward the players for completing it. I would want these to be a mandatory yet enticing choice for player which would give the open world a sense of direction an challenge for players who aren't fond of 'aimless' sandboxes. This doesn't seem to hard to implement and would provide me with a direction for my level/world design also.

To encourage replayabilty and to add another sense of challenge to the game I could add Timer sections or have the choice for players to complete the challenges with a timer. This would add a pseudo challenge to the gameplay as players would only really be challenging themselves if they so choose but I feel like it would be effective in enticing exploration and replay. I would want this to be an optional feature in the world as I would still like for the game to be fun for a more casual player who wanted to focus on exploration without the looming challenge.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Vince, just read this blog about your game idea research and what you have in mind for your game. It looks like you have a lot in plan and you have definitely done your research. I like the game mechanics you chose as it gives the player many options in regard to playing your game whether they play it casual or more for the challenge. I wish you luck in planning and creating this game and can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Vince, hope you're doing good. I really like your idea you have and it really sounds promising. So it's basically going to be a sand-box car battle arena game right? You definitely have a lot of possibilities with the idea so it will be easy to experiment with what you like. I wonder if you're going to have different types of cars or will just be one? Also I wonder if you can implement like a level based system where the opponents get stronger each level once you beat them? I think it would be cool if there were different types of game modes such as competitive and versus mode. It's best to keep the game simple but effective since we don't have a lot of time to actually make. Best of luck Vince and I hope you're game turns out well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Vince! How are you doing? Firstly, let me say I love your idea! Even though you mentioned that the mechanics are simple this is a great concept because it is a fascinating idea similar to games I have enjoyed playing before such as Grand Theft Auto. One of the things I was intrigued about your game was the Sandbox Style layout. This gives players the chance to drive around in vast areas and being able to crash into anything you want. This freedom can be enjoyable to players because you can’t do these things in real life. I also love the idea of being able to carry out challenges, this element will get me hooked on your game as I can be competitive!! My question is what kind of challenges are you thinking of including in your game? If you are worried about not being able to implement collisions, acceleration and other mechanics into the game I would recommend going over all of the unity tutorials provided to us or YouTube is always another good source for tutorials. Best of luck with your game! I can’t wait to play it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vince!
    I really love your game idea; I think it can be developed well and a really fun game to play! I really enjoy your writing because you describe everything really well and it was really easy to grasp and understand. It painted a picture in my mind! I am also doing a car game, ours are different though! I like how you added in power ups! I think that is really interesting and could turn out great! The game reminds me somewhat of Grand Theft Auto! Why is it that it takes place in a sandbox? I love it, it reminds me of Rugrats for some reason! I know you said you weren't going to include any collisions, but I think you should add some, even it's just one! Really enjoyed it overall, I’m looking forward to it being completed and hopefully I will be able to play it! Best of luck! -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Vince, found the blog super detailed in teems of the direction you planing for your game,having a open sandbox type add very interesting premise to the game also keeping the mechanics simple allows you to make the play experience more enjoyable.
    Overall great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vince! I think your game idea is extremely detailed and I can picture it already just by reading it. I like how you gave some examples such as Turbo Dismount and Burnout3. Did you consider implementing some obstacles such as boulders and rocks so the player has to concentrate on the road more? I know we're very limited when it comes to creating our games but Unity has an option for 3d objects to be made such as spheres and cubes! One suggestion would be to keep the rewards system simple, I think your game idea is filled with fun and challenging things that the rewards system would be a little too much work. Anyway keep it up and I can't wait to play it! - Anna Zurawska

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Vince! I think your game idea is extremely detailed and I can picture it already just by reading it. I like how you gave some examples such as Turbo Dismount and Burnout3. Did you consider implementing some obstacles such as boulders and rocks so the player has to concentrate on the road more? I know we're very limited when it comes to creating our games but Unity has an option for 3d objects to be made such as spheres and cubes! One suggestion would be to keep the rewards system simple, I think your game idea is filled with fun and challenging things that the rewards system would be a little too much work. Anyway keep it up and I can't wait to play it! - Anna Zurawska

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vince I just read your game idea research your game seems to be very interesting and very detailed .I really like the way you have broken everything into paragraphs which makes it very clear for the reader and easy to visualise.
    I also think that it will be great if you added different type of obstacles to make your game a little bit more challenging and enjoyable for the player.Im personally a big fan of racing games and everything that has to do with cars.Overall I really like your game concept and I'm sure you'll be able to do a good job on this game and Im looking forward to see your final outcome for this game!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Task 10: Finishing touches

  Image by Markus Winkler on Unsplash.com For this week's reading task we, as a class, collectively worked on our individual sections in...