Thursday, October 1, 2020

My experience with Growth Mindset

I was very inspired by the concept of a growth mindset and wholeheartedly believe in it too. Personally I have begun to recognise that whether I work with a fixed or growth mindset relies directly on my current mental states. As such I have begun the practice of throwing myself into something new and out of my comfort zone every time I feel myself slipping into monotony or just losing myself in the motions of life. While watching the videos ___ I began to realise my own practices of a growth mindset and how though not overt do help in cultivating that continued learning mindset, I recognised that my constant repetition of  phrases like "I'll figure it out" when faced with adversity is an example of the very thing she was presenting.

Expectedly I had never heard of a growth vs. fixed mindset before College which did not surprise me due to the nature of Secondary Schools. In my experience and from the experiences of others I know it seems very rare to find a teacher, parent, etc. nurturing a growth mindset especially for those in their teens. Possibly it'd be more likely seen in children but from personal experience and observation, after a certain age most educators begin to see lack of ability as a flaw rather than a deficit that should be nurtured. 

In my own experience College has been great for me in employing a growth mindset due to my inclination and appreciation of the creative modules in the course. My actual desire to learn in the course material and skills in College has served as a great motivator for continuing with a growth mindset.

I will probably continue on functioning the way I already am, which is working with a growth mindset but not giving it too much thought. I although I am aware of it now I tend to usually work better when I figure things out for myself be it personally or academically such as cultivating the growth style mindset but I do appreciate having an actual name for it now and a source to validate it.

As nerdy as it may sound, I can probably attribute my first encounter with a growth mindset style of thinking to an Anime I watched when I was, I'd say about, 13 and has cemented itself as my favourite anime ever since. I became enamoured with the main philosophy of the show which was offered through it's protagonists that was based on the concept of drills and moving forward despite hardship. The quote that stuck with me the most and still sticks with me to this day is

“We evolve, beyond the person that we were a minute before. Little by little, we advance with each turn. That's how a drill works!”


which I only now realised instilled that growth mindset style of thinking in me.

Gurren Lagann quote uploaded to Ifunny by user IAmLawless on 31/October/2016


1 comment:

  1. Hi Vince, expert in illustration and design. I like your blog post, especially your illustration part, its amazing and attracting eye, you have a Talent, for sure. Its interesting to read your post about Game Design and to know your own opinion about Growth Mindset. Thanks for sharing with us your blog. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Task 10: Finishing touches

  Image by Markus Winkler on Unsplash.com For this week's reading task we, as a class, collectively worked on our individual sections in...