Sunday, February 7, 2021

Writing Project planning

 This week we began the planning phase of the Writing Project for the semester. This process is honestly quite daunting as Academic Reading and Writing has never been my strong suit and the process for this project seems a lot more comprehensive than any reading and writing I have done in the past. Hopefully I can keep on top of the workload as it comes throughout the semester. I chose the topic of "Managing Difficulty" in games as it is an intricate topic that I find extremely interesting and have consumed media on in the past. My choice was also greatly inspired by many of the games that I have played recently that all handle difficulty in vastly different ways but were all still enjoyable.

During the lecture this week we were given a very informative and helpful 'tour' of the College library online services by Lindsey Dowling. She taught us how to navigate the online services while also giving helpful advice on how to find reliable research materials both through the library and elsewhere online. She also pointed us toward several helpful tools such as RefWorks which I plan to work with closely throughout the project.

I began my planning process by formulating keywords that would assist me in my search for relevant academic sources for my chosen topic of Managing Difficulty with some inspiration from the following videos:


I found the folder system for the Matrix Method to be quite tedious and complicated and thus I intend to utilise the folder system available in RefWorks to store and organise the research I find which in turns helps keep my resources in a central place and streamlines the process of creating citations as it can all be done through RefWorks when needed.

In terms of a Review Matrix, I found the suggested example to be slightly too 'formal' and complicated for my own personal use so I plan to create my own Review Matrix in a similar style with the example as a guide but with my own criteria to better streamline the process and as to not overcomplicate or confuse myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Task 10: Finishing touches

  Image by Markus Winkler on Unsplash.com For this week's reading task we, as a class, collectively worked on our individual sections in...